viernes, 14 de septiembre de 2012

Who's behind....Ecstasy and Wine???



Welcome audience to our 2nd chapter of Who's behind...at garage punk ruins my life blog!! We have the great pleasure to introduce you "the man behind the camera" of Ecstasy and Wine Flickr. His name is Felipe, and I would like to thank him for taking this time to answer this blog questionnaire!!


Paul Weller (pic for Ruta 66 magazine cover)
 -What is your  first memory handling a camera?

It was with the camara my relatives gave as a present to my sister on her first Comunion. I was 5. I wasn't making pictures, it was just a toy for me. It was a black 35mm compact camara, don't ask me about the brand or model because I don't remember. I found a very similar one last year in a street-market but it was pretty damage, no worthy to buy it....a pity.

- When you decided that photography could be your way of living?

To be honest I'm still wondering how I do it...since photography and money don't seem to go together.  At the beginning I didn't even thought about it, it was 2 1/2 years ago when I decided to go for it and, so far, I'm not getting rich but I'm surviving from my pictures which is not bad at all if you consider how things are in Spain right now (and specially in this sector).


- Tell us about your educational background regarding photography?

First I joint one of the courses sponsorshiped by the Madrid council, highly recommended in my opinion, quite affordable in terms of price and very professional covering all the aspect of this matter.  At that time I was studying something else not related to photography, I quit those studies and joint the Degree of Image.  There are also private schools &universities where you can study this degree, prices are around 8.000€/year.

Kim Fowley

- Which was your first semi-pro or pro camera?

It was a semi-pro Nikon f-601, a 35mm reflex.  I learnt with it the very basic concepts of photography.
I also bought at that time a digital one because there weren't good times for my economy and I needed to shoot&shoot all the time.  It was a Nikon d-40, I squeeze it until its last breathe for 3 years and now it's part of my personal collection.
  

-What’s your link with the 60's scene?

Well, Ramones and Barracudas changed my life but they were not the beginning of my 60's adventure.
I used to listen indie music like Los Planetas and in their interviews they were always talking about the 13th Floor Elevators or Spacemen 3.... Bands totally unknown for me!!  Then I discovered Nuggets compilation and that was like a revelation.  From that, Sonics, Standells, Electric Prunes, Seeds, the 80's revival...let me please highlight the Inside Out of The Miracle Workers (best lp of this period).




- Tell us about that project of capturing the scene through your camera?

Juanito (Wau y los Arghhs!! frontman)
I started taking the camera to the gigs and the I began to shoot everyone involved in the night scene (attendance, musicians, workers,bar tenders...).


 -Your pictures for album covers are also very well known...

I am very proud of those ones for Saturno Records Ep of Lord Rochester.
The session took place in Benidorm at Funtastic Dracula Carnival, no sleeping, my English is not very good and the guys are Scottish.....well, to my surprise everything flew perfect between us, good feeling, and incredible sunset light and their look in swimming bath clothes from the early 20's was the perfect touch to the session.  ( notice at the picture the sand coming out of the foot...wasn't planned!!!!! see pic-->)



 Holy Family (Barcelona)

- Which are your current cameras?

I have a wide range of variety now, depending the purpose I use one or another.
For my work I use Canon Eos Id Mark II with 27.70 2.8L and 80.200 2.8L lenses.
Since last year Yashica, I love the colors and the texture.  I was only using it for portraits but now I'm also doing bands pictures with it.


Joaquín Pascual

Films: new Kodak Portra 400 (professional standard)
Before I was using a Fujifilm Superia x-tra 400. The Kodak is more expensive but also worthy.

Leica C1 35 mm compact.  For the portraits I've been doing since the last 3 years.

The serie of portraits  “Ecstasy and Wine” started with Leica C11 compact (aps format) but when I found a similar camera but in 35mm I changed it because the aps developing is much expensive, it was difficult to find films and I found out they were stopping to produce it.



I was also using Polaroid 600 but then months later it was a impossible mission to find films...
My favorites: Leica C1 and Yashica FX3... And for the special moments together I would add my Canon Eos ld.

Dallas Good (singer & guitar at The Sadies)

- Self develop?

I wish! But it's actually unaffordable specially the color one but one day I would to have my own developing room for B&W.
My next toy will be a scanner for NEGATIVOS and have my NEG scanned in hi-res at home...less is nothing...

Borja (Faith Keepers)
  - Your opinion about Lomo?

The biggest rip off in history along with the impossible project.  I've done some films with the fish eye and it is the greatest rubbish.  I rsther use The disposable cameras Of The big brands instead, actually that's what I'm using at festivals and big events where you don't know the level of drunkenness you can get...



-24/36?

36, the price without copies or scan is the same as 24.

- Your recommendations for a beginner?

Canon 500d-550d-600, this is something regular and good price/quality. Then if you are really interested then you can acquire a better equipment...also depending on your budget of course!

Thanks Felipe and keep shooting!!


You can follow Felipe at:
http://ecstasyandwine67.blogspot.com.es

Jens Lindsberg (Crimson Shadows)



2 comentarios:

  1. Hi, I'm Pablo de la Cruz. Cool that you're using the FX3, Felipe - it was my workhorse when I was serious about photography 20 years ago, until its shutter died on me. A lovely, small, light, tough, unobstrusive camera. Not to mention mighty unexpensive :-)

    What lenses do you have for it?

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hi Pablo!
    I use two fixed lens, a 28mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.8
    best regards!

    ResponderEliminar